Spaeth Hill is a leading design firm specializing in branding, wayfinding, and experiential graphic design (EGD) for the built environment.
The Art Director plays a crucial role in creating, developing and overseeing our design aesthetic and ensuring the successful execution of all projects. Primary responsibilities include developing and producing high-level, conceptual design solutions for the above referenced project types. Regular planning sessions will occur between the Art Director and Creative Director to establish project goals for the studio and the clients, as well as for the team. The Art Director will oversee, collaborate and provide guidance to the design team throughout the early design planning stages, project coordination and final execution. Additionally, they will engage in collaboration with clients, external partners (including designers, architects, contractors), and other stakeholders to ensure projects are executed to the highest standards of quality.
Design Management: Collaborate with the Creative Director to establish and implement the studio’s design vision and standards across all projects. Organize and facilitate regular check-ins with the Creative Director to provide updates on project milestones and key aspects of all active design projects. Demonstrate a strong commitment to staying informed and comprehending industry intricacies, trends and design techniques through independent research and resources from industry experts. Encourage our culture of growth by providing the design team constructive critique, valuable feedback and positive reinforcement. Identify opportunities for leadership development by assessing team strengths and weaknesses, and work with management to foster team growth.
Project Planning and Coordination: Collaborate with the project manager and design team to develop project schedules, define design objectives and provide supervision and direction throughout the entire project lifecycle. Generate and refine design concepts through sketches and research exercises, including organizing and leading design charrettes. Ensure clear communication of design goals, objectives and proposed solutions to clients. Conduct internal and client-facing presentations with efficiency and accuracy. Skillfully manage multiple project timelines and deliverables to ensure successful project outcomes.
Production and Quality Control: Maintain effective communication with external designers, architects, and contractors to safeguard the project’s design intents and integrity including material selection, fabrication methods and value engineering decisions during the fabrication and implementation phases. Collaborate with the design team to conduct on-site evaluations at different stages of the project, ensuring accuracy in measurements, materials, samples and fabrication construction and installations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in design, architecture, or a related field
• 5-6 years minimum in studio or agency environment
• Experience with managing and leading a team
• Demonstrate professionalism and a mature presence
• Must be able to self-manage
• Strong verbal communication and presentation skills
• Demonstrate problem solving abilities and the ability to think critically
• Fluency in the Adobe Creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
• Sketch-up or Blender experience preferred
• Web / UX design experience are a bonus
• Entrepreneurial spirit is a plus
• Convey conceptual ability and consistency for design excellence
• Demonstrate a strong attention to detail and sensitivity to nuance
• Showcase an exceptional typographic skillset
• Exhibit a consistent aesthetic for composition and layout
• Display a solid understanding of the brand process
• Communicate experience developing design ideas for a variety of project types
Submit your CV and portfolio to email@example.com
We will only respond to prospective candidates.